Monday, March 22, 2010

Trench Art Brought Home

Among the many items that my grandfather brought back after the Great War were some very nice examples of "Trench Art". The picture below shows a pair of Bosche artillery shells reworked with a couple of infantrymen characterizations.



Many photographs are available of artillery shells made into various items. However, I have yet to see an image of the bottom of the shell. So I have added the second photo that shows the markings on the shell's base. Perhaps it will be of interest to a Bosche artillery historian. Note: I altered the properties of the image to sharpen the details. Click on the image for an enlarged view.



I welcome anyone to chime in with information about this shell casing. Dimensions: 9 inches/22.86cm tall, and 75mm average diameter at the open.

No comments: